Livingston, MT: The annual meeting of the Friends of the Yellowstone Gateway Museum is Thursday, March 29, 6:30 PM, at the Livingston-Park County Public Library, 228 W. Calendar. Immediately following the brief meeting is a 7:00 PM program entitled “A Look at the Photography of John C. Haberstroh.” The presentation is free and open to the public.
Museum Director Paul Shea and photographer Rob Park team up for the evening’s program, “A Look at the Photography of John C. Haberstroh.” Shea begins the program portion of the evening, giving biographical information about Haberstroh who was born in Iowa in 1878 and moved to the Livingston area in 1900. Haberstroh was a partner in the Sax and Fryer store, managing the photographic department there until his retirement in 1944. He continued taking photographs until 1956. Park will give a slideshow of John C. Haberstroh images, including agricultural and Northern Pacific Railway Livingston Shop themes. He will also include a sampling of other images that cover a myriad of Park County subjects, giving the audience a sneak peek of the museum’s Haberstroh Collection that was recently donated by Dean and Pat Brandon. Park and the museum welcome public comment from the crowd regarding the images.
Shea began working as Director of the Yellowstone Gateway Museum in December 2009. Prior to moving to Livingston, he was the founding Executive Director and Curator of the Yellowstone Historic Center in West Yellowstone, Montana, serving from 1998-2008. Shea has lived and worked in and around Yellowstone National Park since 1979 and is originally from Nevada.
Rob Park, a Livingston native, professional photographer, and business owner, operates the Flying Squirrel Gallery, Park Photography, and the Blacklab, a community darkroom. By early summer this year, Park plans to open a new space for Park Photography that will include the Gateway Gallery. The gallery will primarily exhibit regional photographic history, and will feature images from the Yellowstone Gateway Museum’s archives. Park has worked closely with the museum during the previous ten years, restoring and printing photographs and also printing exhibit materials.
Members of the Friends non-profit organization and others interested in learning about the museum are urged to attend the annual meeting. People only interested in the program are welcome to slip in at 7:00 PM when there will be a break for refreshments.
Please call 406-222-4184, for more information.